Well the second set of rankings for the #CFBPlayoff were released and, to no surprise, there were changes. This will not be uncommon in the weeks to come. I expect to see a different line-up of 4 teams every week for the remainder of the season. Of course, some weeks might have the same 4 teams but perhaps in a different ranking order. Not to brag or anything here, but this week's Top 4 from the Selection Committee looks exactly like #TwineTime Top 4 from last week. I said Ole Miss was overranked and would stumble...now they are basically done. Hmmm maybe I should be putting my name forward now to argue a position on this board. Wouldn't that be fun? A random guest newbie blogger from Canada having a vote for the biggest and most debatable sports playoff? I like it....
Here are the rankings:
Selection Committee #TwineTime
1. Mississippi State 1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State 2. Florida State
3. Auburn 3. Auburn
4. Oregon 4. Oregon
5. Alabama 5. TCU
6. TCU 6. Alabama
Ok so first glance it looks like I took the easy way out here but at this point of the season, based on the numbers and criteria used for this ranking, I think the committee basically got it right this week. Do I think these rankings will look the same next week or the end of the season, heck no! But as I mentioned last week, these rankings are only to take into consideration the output each team has displayed on the field so far, not what we expect to happen. Here is a great image to help summarize (courtesy of @SECstats):
- UCONN beat UCF? WTF? 100% no way I saw that coming...either did the Knights apparently.
- Temple beat East Carolina - I even mentioned this looked like an upset game and I still didn't pull the trigger. Lesson learned here folks...sometimes go with your gut!
- I have been uneasy on Georgia all season and thought they were hyped too much. The loss to Florida proved me hunch correct, if only I man'd up and made the pick.
- Ole Miss overrated!!! Have I made that point enough yet
- Still undefeated on Friday!!!!!
Utah State over Wyoming - Wyoming has become my Georgia Tech 2.0. I can never correctly pick how they will do each week....which means either I am really bad at this (my percentage numbers I think disagree) or the Pokes are one of the most inconsistent teams this season.
Penn State over Indiana
(4) Oregon over (17) Utah - Huge game for the PAC-12. Oregon will sew up the North title with one more victory. Utah is fighting to win the South and needs this win and some help after the loss to ASU last weekend. This is also Oregon's last chance to impress the committee before the PAC-12 championship game. A big road win over a very good Utah team will help. Worth noting, ranked teams are only 1-4 on the road vs a ranked Utah team.
Louisiana Tech over UAB - Tech on their way to an undefeated conference record?
Rice over UTSA
Tulsa over SMU - Pillowfight of the Week! 1-7 hosting 0-7. Stay winless SMU!
Minnesota over Iowa - Ok minus the unexplainable loss to Illinois a few weeks back, most people would be taking the Gophers at home. They have had two weeks to prepare for this game. Iowa hasn't looked that good of a team until last weekends big win. Both teams are 3-1 in the Big 10 and trying to position themselves for a better bowl game invite.
(12) Baylor over (15) Oklahoma - If the Bears lose this game, playoff hopes are gone. They need the win to have a shot at the Big 12 Championship and, even then, still might be a long shot to make the Final 4. Huge opportunity though to pick up a big road win and impress the committee. Remember this Bears team should have beat TCU and could have been undefeated right now.
(25) Wisconsin over Purdue
(20) Georgia over Kentucky
(24) Georgia Tech over NC State - Tech curse continues?
Arkansas State over South Alabama
Troy over Georgia State - Pillowfight of the Week 2.0. These are two 1-8 teams battling it out. Can Georgia State pick up their 1st conference win? I'm taking the home team.
Appalachian State over UL Monroe
(3) Auburn over Texas A&M - The Aggies were once thought of a team that could make the Final 4. Now nobody is paying attention to them and they are huge underdogs in this game. The Tigers should roll here at home. Not a meaningful win opportunity here for Auburn but a home loss could take them right out of the Final 4 playoff.
(9) Arizona State over (10) Notre Dame - The Irish have been unimpressive. The Sun Devils are explosive. ASU is at home. This game should prove the Irish are overrated. I might be eating my words next week, but I think I am safe in this one.
Connecticut over Army - Well if the Huskies team that beat up on UCF show up this weekend as well, Army is in for a long day.
Houston over Tulane
FIU over Old Dominion
(23) West Virginia over Texas - I only highlight this game not because I think WVU has a shot at the playoff but more because how they do the rest of the season will impact the resume of the teams above them in the Big 12. They keep winning, others benefit.
Northwestern over Michigan
Iowa State over Kansas - Finally someone will win a conference game. Cyclones are a better team.
UTEP over Western Kentucky
Air Force over UNLV
Oregon State over Washington State
(1) Mississippi State over UT Martin - An SEC team playing a cupcake game in the middle of the season? Well that never happens?!?! #sarcasm
Georgia Southern over Texas State - The battle for the Sun Belt championship perhaps?
San Diego State over Idaho
(2) Florida State over Virginia - FSU cannot allow a slip up for the rest of the season. I cannot see a one-loss Seminole team making the Final 4 over a few other one-loss teams. They have to win out..and they have the easy enough schedule to do so.
Florida Atlantic over North Texas
Marshall over Southern Miss - Come on committee, give the Herd some love. They are undefeated. sure easy schedule but still...throw some sympathy votes their way. It's not their fault their conference sucks! I hope Marshall ends up being the last undefeated team standing.
Boise State over New Mexico
Colorado State over Hawaii
(18) UCLA over Washington
Louisville over Boston College
(6) TCU over (7) Kansas State - Basically a playoff game here. Winner has a great opportunity. Loser is eliminated. Biggest game of the week in regards to the rankings. TCU at home though...
Florida over Vanderbilt
(16) LSU over (5) Alabama - See my thoughts above on Bama. LSU at home, looking better week in and week out, going with the slight upset here. Put the SEC in more chaos please...
LA-Lafayette over New Mexico State
(8) Michigan State over (14) Ohio State - Basically the de facto Big 10 championship game. Oddly enough, a Spartan win helps Oregon more than anything. The Spartans are going to have a tough time jumping ahead of anyone.
(19) Arizona over Colorado
San Jose State over Fresno State
Enjoy the action this weekend everyone.....