- The Goo continues to play week in and week out and continues to win. Add another title to the trophy case on The Rock. The teams behind them are trying to close the gap but if Gushue continues playing at this level, they may just stay on top all season.
- Jacobs moves up the rankings due to his strong semifinal showing in Cornwall and McEwen and Koe taking the week off. As mentioned last week, right now all three of these teams could be a deadlock tie in the rankings behind Gushue. Expect to see some movement amongst them most of the season I think.
- Howard goes from off the rankings to Top 5. And why not? A slight adjustment to the rink in the off season with the addition of son Scott at lead and the team is quickly finding success. A quarterfinal appearance at the Tour Challenge two weeks ago backed up by a finalist appearance in Cornwall, this team has come to play and it appears Howard is putting notice he is in it to win it again this season. Incidentally enough, look who Howard has lost to in his past two events in the playoffs: Brad Gushue. When your losses are to the top team, you still score major power ranking points. The question is whether he can find the game to knock off the top teams ahead of him. He does have a victory over Jacobs in Paradise and two wins over defending world champion Edin in Cornwall. The stock is rising fast on the tour veteran.
- Not a lot of movement amongst the top women’s teams as most took the week off. Sweeting is rewarded for her hometown win over a competitive field and slightly knocks Jones out of the Top 5. Team Kim from Korea is also charging hard to move up the power rankings and making a strong case for a truly international Top 5 in the coming weeks.
- Lawton joins the honourable mention list with her strong performance in Edmonton and could be ready to make a push this season with the addition of Trish Paulson at vice. Keep an eye on this team.
There you have it rock heads and stoners. New power rankings and previews of the 4 men's and women's events on tour....you are now fully prepared for Week 6 action. Follow along with draw by draw scores and updated standings on CurlingZone. As always, feel free to share your thoughts on the power rankings or perhaps share your power rankings with me on twitter. Maybe it is time to add a fan's choice team to the power rankings? If so, vote on the #TwineTime blog website or share your vote on twitter.
On a personal note, and stepping away from the ice for a moment, #TwineTime will be participating in Exile Island - Calgary on October 1. This event is a fundraiser for The Children's Wish Foundation of Canada. The CWF touches a special place in my heart. My younger brother was born with cerebral palsy and our family was fortunate to be granted a wish vacation to Disneyland and Universal Studios. I rarely ask anyone for support but this is one event...for one organization...I would love to have curling fans support. Please visit the website below and any donation amount you feel you can give would be greatly appreciated. Please help me in my pursuit of granting a wish for another child and give back to an organization which offered my family our first family vacation.