- Volleyball has been contested at every Summer Olympics since 1964. Rio 2016 will be the 14th edition of the tournament.
- Parity has been seen throughout the history of men's volleyball. The US and Russia lead the way with 3 gold medals apiece while 2016 host nation Brazil has won 2. Other nations to find the top of the podium include: Poland, Japan, Netherlands and Yugoslavia.
- Brazil is the only nation to have qualified for all 14 Olympic tournaments. While the program struggled in the early years of the competition, they have been the most consistent over the past 3 Olympics, making the final every time. They won gold in 2004 and finished runner-up the past two Olympics, losing to USA in 2008 and Russia in 2012.
- Russia (combined with Soviet Union results) will be making their 13th appearance at the games. They have found the podium 10 times in the previous 12 appearances, only missing the podium in 1996 (4th) and 1992 (7th).
- Speaking of consistent results, Italy will be making their 11th appearance and have made at least the SF round in 6 of the previous 10 Olympics. Similar to Russia, Italy is the only other nation to have reached the SF stage at the past 5 Olympic Games. However, Italy has never won a gold in the event with their best result being a silver in 1996 and 2004.
- Rio 2016 will also mark the debut of one nation: Iran. Mexico will be making only their 2nd Olympic appearance. While Mexico is not considered a threat to advance out of the group stage, Iran could be a dark horse threat.
Welcome to Rio 2016
Women's Football Preview
Men's Football Preview
Rugby Sevens Preview
Men's Basketball Preview
Also, don't forget to have YOUR voice heard on what sport(s) you are most excited about watching during the XXXI Olympiad by voting on the #TwineTime homepage.